Surfing Madonna Oceans Project is a 501c3 nonprofit based in Encinitas, California and was officially formed in 2013 by Robert Nichols and Mark Patterson (artist of the Surfing Madonna mosaic).
The Surfing Madonna Oceans Project is dedicated to bringing the community together to “Save the Ocean” and protect our coastline. Through youth education programs, ocean conservation project grants, marine mammal rescue/recovery initiatives and helping children with special needs experience the healing power of the ocean, we are helping to expand this community of ocean advocates.
Signature Surfing Madonna Programs
- Annual free Surf Camp for Special Needs Children
- Annual free Swim/Surf Program for Disabled Veterans and Adults
- Floating Beach Wheelchairs for beach accesses
- Marine Mammal Rescue Equipment for lifeguards
- Nonprofit grants for local ocean-focused projects
- “Save the Ocean” initiatives for local ocean, beach and park areas
Thousands of dollars are donated back each year to support these programs/projects. Our main fundraising revenue comes from the Surfing Madonna Beach Run and the Encinitas Half Marathon. Other revenue is generated from business sponsors and grants.
We would like to thank all of the sponsors, donors, volunteers, residents of Encinitas, community partners, local businesses, City of Encinitas, County of San Diego, Mizel Foundation, and everyone who has made these programs possible. Together we have been able to move mountains and impact the lives of hundreds of families, children and veterans.